Consider fiber and pile height when you are shopping for carpet flooring. Remember that durability is specific to each individual, and the rug you fell in love with at your neighbor's home may not be suitable for you. When shopping for this or any floor covering, you should be very specific about your needs so the professional can guide you to the right one.
Fiber is the most crucial decision you'll make
Fiber is the material from which the rug yarns are made, affecting aesthetics, performance, and longevity. Although there are acrylics and blends, there are five most commonly chosen fibers; get to know the benefits of each.
1. Wool: Natural, soft, luxurious, durable, able to stand up to heavy foot traffic. It has good soil resistance, but it is absorbent, so stains should be wiped immediately.
2. Nylon. Strong and ultra-durable with good stain resistance. It is tough enough to handle kids and pets.
3. Polyester: Superior stain resistance but not as resilient as nylon, so it’s best for moderately busy rooms.
4. Olefin (polypropylene). Budget-friendly, durable, and stain-resistant.
5. Triexta: Permanent stain resistance built into the fiber and strength for the heaviest trafficked floors.
About pile height and style
Generally, a high pile floor covering like the shag with long, loose fibers will require more maintenance and care, so they're often recommended for low traffic rooms like the bedroom. On the other hand, low pile rugs are soft and stylish, durable, and easier to clean.
Dig a little deeper to look at the overall style and texture. For instance, Saxony Straight is soft, velvety, and luxurious, with a plush texture. With plush, the fibers go all in one direction, creating color variations, creating color variations with any movement, including footsteps. Saxony Texture, however, has fibers that are twisted and go in all directions and can be used in any room.
You’ll see a wide selection of carpet flooring at Discount Carpet and Flooring, and we'll help you choose the right one! So come into our carpet store in Richmond, BC, explore our inventory, get your questions answered and get a free quote. We service the Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby, and Delta regions.